Monday, December 31, 2012

Shopping on a Dime

I cannot begin to express my gratitude and astonishment to the overwhelming support that I received from the last blog entry.  Thank you so much!  I enjoyed writing it and although I didn't get any comments, or new followers, I did see the number of views increase tremendously.  So I know you are out there!  I encourage you not to just view, read, and leave.  Please comment, subscribe, and follow.  I want to hear from you, so I know what type of posts you are interested in and want to see more of.

Shopping on a dime, is a must for me.  All of my friends call me before they go shopping and ask, "Who has a sale?", "Where can I find this?", or the lazy ones (they shall remain nameless) call and say, "I am going ________, find me something to wear!".  LOL!!!!  I shop a wide variety of places but as of lately I have found a love for thrift store shopping.  I tried thrifting a few years ago, but I wasn't successful.  In order to have success when thrifting, first and foremost, you have to go with an open mind.  It's okay if something has to be altered to fit you (ex.  If its a size 12 and you are a size 8) or if you have to change the belt, or cut the sleeves.  You are not paying that much for it so the extra money to add to the item offsets.  

I live in a very small town so unfortunately, I will not be revealing my treasured thrifting spots but I will show you what I recently SCORED (lame, I know) when thrifting at the local GOODWILL.  It doesn't matter where you reside there is a GOODWILL near you.  I frequented this GOODWILL numerous times and never found anything, but my last trip was very successful.  I purchased 5 items and my grand total was $10.  Yes $10.  Sometimes I feel like GOODWILL's can be a little pricey because dresses are $5.99, formals are $9.99, and so on but this particular day there was a sale.  Anything priced over $5.99 was $2.  GOODWILL not only has a website but there is a calendar that shows what days they will have sales.  Unfortunately, the calendar has not been updated for 2013 but it is still a handy tool.  For all of my Louisiana readers click here to go to the webpage to keep track of sales and plan your thrifting expeditions accordingly.  

Ok, now to the awesome items I found.

First up is this beautiful, tulip draped dress.  This dress is totally amazing. THE COLOR.  THE DRAPING.  THE PLEATING.  THE BELT.  I love it. 



Next is this sequin top.  When I saw it I was in LOVE.  I can't wait to pair with jeans and heels!  (SAD NEWS:  This was the top of a matching set.  I left the matching skirt and yesterday I came up with an awesome way to wear it! I hope it's still there when I return!)

I even found this RALPH LAUREN LINEN PANTS SUIT.  Although it is winter, I could not pass up this $2 suit.  FYI: I do not plan to wear together (I am not a suit type of chick) , BUT stay tuned for how I wear this suit as separates.  The suit is actually NAVY BLUE even though it appears black.




This dress I purchased to wear to work with flats and tights.  It it very basic but it fits really well and was only $2.  


I know I said I purchased five items, but the last item was for a friend that lives in another state...LOL! True shoppers use all resources to score items they have been looking for...LOL!! I know but hey!!! We take this shopping thing serious. So I won't post her item but it is HOT!  

...this is how I SHOP ON A DIME!!!!

24 comments:

  1. Love this article. Haven't really "thrift shopped" before but I may visit one after reading your article. So love the tulip dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kemberly it becomes addictive. Thrift Shopping guarantees you won't have anyone there with your outfit!! I LOVE IT!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the article, love a sale, and I love thrift shopping!! I find so many hidden treasures from clothing to furniture. I paid $80 for a desk that was worth about $499. I got a Jansport small school bag for my pre-k for $10. Another good spot is garage sales especially after a school break. Moms tend to clean when kids are home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blue dress is amazing. I will have to visit my local Goodwill. I feel inspired. Plus, I have my own sewing machine, so making alterations will be easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @KP6 I haven't been to a garage sale yet but that's because you have to go so early in the morning to get good stuff. You really did get some good deals. I will be looking for sales after school ends in May!! Thanks

    @Danielle I love everything about that dress. Yes please go and tell me what you find, remember go with an open mind. And don't forget about MASON when you go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this article. I'm a shopper myself, and I'm always looking for great sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks @Shopping Addiction!! More to come, so please follow me, subscribe, and continue to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love thrifting. I go at least twice a week. I find so many good treasures for me and my whole family. People would be so surprised of the things that can be found in them. I love all your finds,especiall the blue dress. Here on Tuesdays and Thursdays kids clothes are 0.99 and Wednesdays all clothes are 50% off, you can't be that with a stick..lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am addicted as well Amando O. I just went today and I got 3 skirts, one pair of pants, two shirts, and one dress for $20. I have a secret spot!! I always find great things in there!! Which stores do you go to that have sales on those days...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post! I love the draping of the first dress. I'm obsessed with thrifting and have a dress similar to the sequin top!

    Following you via ffh,hope you can check out my blog
    Happy New Year,

    fashionfromthehart.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the follow J. Hart. I visited your blog and what an awesome cause! Thanks for the support and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that tulip dress really is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Simplychic! Now I just need somewhere to go to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love every outfit you styled and purchase. Great bargains also I love Thrift stores but where I am from the clothing are always so pick over. If you can help out when you see something that ai can purchase will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What size do you wear? How would you describe your style?

      Delete
  15. I love every outfit you styled and purchase. Great bargains also I love Thrift stores but where I am from the clothing are always so pick over. If you can help out when you see something that ai can purchase will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started selling items on poshmark. Look me up edelone and use code HUPHD when registering...I have a few items listed now with more to come.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love fasion. This article was so informative it has me looking at thrift stores in a different light. Never liked to search and dig through clothes but it just might be worth it. Ive also heard about the sales at goodwill but I always find out when its too late so the website can be very helpful for busy people like me. Keep it up girl! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Rashelle!!! I am addicted to Thrifting...we should have a girls trip one day and hit a bunch!!

      Delete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your short haircut is gorggggg!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete